On 18 March 1930, “zona franca”, or duty-free zone, was declared in the part of the Kvarner district (It. Provincia di Carnaro). The Kvarner district encompassed the area of the city of Rijeka and its wider surroundings, including the towns Opatija with Volosko, Ičići, Ika, Lovran, Medveja, Mošćenička Draga, Matulji, Klana, and the area of the city Ilirska Bistrica, today a part of the Republic of Slovenia. The duty-free zone included only a part of the coastal territory of the Kvarner district from Rijeka to Mošćenička Draga and to Matulji. The Italians introduced this measure to stimulate the development of tourism which remained largely constant in crisis years and to make this area more competitive towards the Crikvenica and Vinodol rivieras. The consumer goods in this zone were considerably cheaper than in the rest of the Kingdom of Italy. In this new situation, the local inhabitants saw an opportunity to ensure additional income. They started to contraband – smuggle goods from the duty-free zone. The smuggled goods were transported along the mountain paths of Učka and then resold.